Departments & Services

Below is a list of all departments and services within Gesgapegiag.

Social Assistance

+1 (418) 759-3441

The income security program offers financial assistance of last resort for independent adults, married persons and common law partners only.

To be eligible:

-  Be an adult aged 18 years or older OR, if you are under the age of 18 and married or under the age of 18 and have a dependent child.
-    Live in the community
-    Demonstrate that you have no other financial resources at your disposal.

Steps for processing applications
1-    Submitting an application for financial assistance
-    To submit an application for financial assistance you must complete the income security program registration form. The form must be signed and dated. If you need help completing the form you can ask your income security advisor for assistance.
2-    Supporting documentation
-    The advisor will ask you to provide supporting documentation to determine your eligibility and establish the amount in which you are entitled. If you refuse to provide the requested information, the advisor may reject or cancel your application for financial assistance or withhold your cheque for the following month.
-    Depending on your situation or needs, your advisor may ask you to submit additional documentation, to come in for an interview or to provide further clarification.
-    An attachment can be found at the bottom of the page with the checklist of paperwork that must be brought in when you are requesting income assistance.
3-    The decision
- Once the advisor has received all the required documentation, your application will be processed and a decision will be rendered within the next 10 days. A notice of decision will be sent to you containing the details of you eligibility to the program and the amount of you allowance.
Monthly declaration
-    Every month you must complete the Monthly Declaration form and return it to your income security advisor. This form must be completed on the 15th of the month or if the 15th falls on a weekend or holiday then the form must be completed on the following business day.

Annual re-evaluation
-    Once per year your advisor will contact you to re-evaluate your file. At this time, you will have to complete, sign and date the annual re-evaluation form and provide the required supporting documents. Failing to complete the annual re-evaluation will result in your monthly income assistance being held until the forms are completed and given to your advisor.

What if I don’t agree with the decision about my Income Assistance?

If you don't agree with a decision about your income assistance amounts you can ask for a review hearing. Tell your Social Assistance Worker or the receptionist that you want a review hearing and they will give you a form to fill out. They will tell you when the Manager of Client Services will review your case.


Sue Helen Caplin

Social Assistance Coordinator

Micmacs of Gesgapegiag Band